TO THE WOMAN OF WORTH, (YOU)

This advocacy is born out of a heart that is passionate to witness a generation where every woman is well-aware of her worth in a holistic point-of-view: physically, emotionally, socially, legally and most of all, spiritually and Biblically.

In a world where women experience inequality, violence and discrimination, this advocacy aims to raise up Christ-Empowered Women, who live to empower her home, her husband, her children, her ministry and career, her generation and her nation.

This advocacy believes that this is her time because she is PRISCILLA TODAY.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

My (Challenging) Internship Application Experience

I’d like to think that I’ve started early hunting for two companies to work 150 hours each for our required OJT subject. I am a Communication major junior student in Miriam College and we are required to work in any company that is related to our field of study, Communication, of course, such as advertising agencies, PR firms, radio production, television production, marketing, research, journalism, and many others.  I realized that having a broad course was actually good because we have more job opportunities. We were required a total of 300 hours and 150 for each department. We need to work in two different departments and it is our choice if we would go for two companies or just one company but work in two departments there. 

We were expected to have the internship during the summer of 2012 (April-May), but just in the month of October 2011, I was already finishing up my resume, inquiring for an internship in companies, and asking them about their requirements. I felt good about starting so early, I felt I got the edge of having to pass my resume earlier than everyone, the feeling was as if I was the lead in a track race. So I chose my top three companies wherein I would pass my resume to, Araneta Center Inc., ABS-CBN, and any advertising agency such as Acesaatchi & Saatchi, Propel Manila, Widescope, etc.
I looked up in their websites, got their telephone numbers, and called up during the month of December 2011 in which my resume was updated and ready. I made sure I included all my extracurriculars (Teatro Kolehiyo ng Miriam, MCTelevision, Re:C@p newsletter and MCinema) and I swear I would never forget to write down the semesters I got into the Dean’s List. I felt so sure that whoever reads my resume would be ecstatic to have me in their company. Included name in page 2? Check! Did not use jargons and abbreviations? Check! Used a professional picture? Check! No irrelevant information? Check! Did not use narrative style? Check! Correct grammar? Check! Honest and accurate? Check! 
Great! Time to submit! 

SUBMISSIONS
January of 2012, I got the list of requirements from the office of Araneta Center Inc. found near Gateway along the Aurora Road which was just a jeep ride near my home.  



As soon as I had the list of requirements, such as documents provided by the school, I started requesting all the documents from the department of Communication. My classmates were all “Why are you already doing that? Aren’t you too early?”, “Over-achiever”, “Paranoid” and I ignored it all.
I even went all the way to ABS-CBN just to inquire knowing that I shouldn’t just call, but apparently, they told me that applications are now done online and that walk-ins are not going to be accepted. So as I went home, I immediately encoded my resume at their site and sent it to them with crossed fingers hoping for a reply soon. It was exactly February 3, 2012. ABS-CBN Corporation was my second choice for my internship training (Araneta Center is my first choice) and I do really hope I would be able to experience being there in the near future.  
After applying in Araneta and ABS-CBN, I looked up on different advertising sites and emailed my resume. Everyday I would check out my email and see if any of the companies has responded to my applications. And every single day, I was never emailed back by any company, I was getting nervous and nervous whenever a day passes. I kept on following up at ABS-CBN through calls, and following up at Araneta Center through frequent visits and the only answer they would give is ‘We will call you’. I hated it. Why can’t they just tell me if I passed or failed so I won’t keep my hopes up anymore?
The more the day was getting closer to March, the more I was panicking. My classmates who applied in companies later than me were already accepted. My college BFFs were already sure with their companies while I was still longing for a response. Melanie was already accepted at Summit Media while Maan already started her internship hours at TV5. My panic level went all the way on top that I went straight home and made emails to different other companies and even went with my other friends, Riza and Alyanna, to IBC 13 for applications. In IBC 13, quickly, I was accepted, but I felt I shouldn’t settle for that. I have nothing against IBC 13 but when I watched the channel, most of the time was devoted for advertisements for growing hairs, slimming pills, etc. I still believe that there might still be a possibility of getting into my top two companies.
Another set of days passed, I lost hope. I cried unto God with a heavy heart. I felt bad crying to Him. See, I’ve been very busy with school works and I never gave Him time for prayer, but now just when I needed something, I prayed. It was as if just talking to your father when you only need money. I felt so guilty but I cried out to Him anyway. I told Him how unfair it was that people who have connections get in easily and are prioritized more, what if I’m better than those with connections? I cried out how life was being so hard for me. I asked for favour and told Him that whatever His will is for me, may it be not for small companies. I wanted to work bigtime. I was so desperate. I was humbled down. 

A single day passed by, I received a call from Araneta Center because of my frequent follow-up visits. Before I answered their call, I smiled deep inside and realized that it was true the God moves in mysterious ways.

“Hello, Good Afternoon?” I said, I was in the World Youth Alliance office organizing things for our Heart in Art event.


COMPANY CALL

The man on the other side of the phone asked me on when I am available during the day and if I could be interviewed at around 4pm. I immediately said yes even though I had an event to organize. With permission, I left the WYA office and headed home thinking of which outfit to wear for my interview. Then, with a big smile and a nice corporate outfit, I left home and headed for Araneta Center!
I passed the interview. It was not a formal interview though. I was interviewed by the marketing head, Ms. Marjorie Go, who also knew my cousin Patricia Vinoya and my former classmate’s sister. She was very nice and accommodating. I felt glad being sure of one company. I was happy I got into my first choice company!

...


That Sunday, my Ninang, Noemi Relova, who had connections with ABS-CBN, offered help in passing my resume to the company. I felt so thankful for such a good heart. I gave her my resume and hoped that maybe God is already using people around me to bless me and answer my prayers. 
Just three days after, I received a text from ABS-CBN inviting me for an interview the next day, March 8. I felt so special having an appointment on ABS-CBN. So when I got there, I was surprised by a number of aspiring interns who are going to have their interview as well. I was humbled down. I was just a single girl in the sea of people lined up for an interview.



So hours passed, and names were called, I finally heard ‘Hazel Paras!’ I stood up, fingered my hair into place, breathed deeply in and out, and walked into the interview venue.
In the office, I help my hands together and prayed inside that the interview would be a success.  Ms. Ericka sat down and asked me formal interview questions while I answered with some of my prepared questions. I told her about my extracurricular activities in theater productions, TV productions, and film productions. And then, the next thing I know, I passed the interview and got the list of requirements to fulfil before I can attend the orientation and start my work. (one of the requirements was a medical certificate wherein I had to go through chest x-ray, stool exam, urinalysis, blood count, and body mass index evaluation!)
 As soon as I accomplished all the requirements, I immediately headed ABS-CBN. Thus, my orientation was already scheduled.

LESSONS LEARNED

 Patience. Faith. Determination. These three are very much needed in applying for internships. Sometimes, having a great resume won’t assure you a job. Sometimes, it’s all about following up regularly which would make them understand how much you want to work in their company. Faith and patience, easy to say, soooooo hard to do! I can’t explain how I made despite being a paranoid girl which my classmates would agree I am, but always trust God. The long waiting may be God’s way of humbling me down and developing a passion and determination to get the job and excel in it. 
By the way, it’s already March 17, and tomorrow, I’m shopping for new corporate attires! 
Starting on March 19 at Araneta Center Inc. (hmm..but I have an ABS-CBN orientation the same day)
Starting April 16 at ABS-CBN
...
Oh, wait, I have a call...oh it’s from Star Cinema...They just got my application from last month. I am accepted too? But they’re late?

1 comment:

  1. i am also applying as an intern at abscbn right now. i'm already scheduled for an interview.
    i'm so nervous. any advice?

    ReplyDelete