TO THE WOMAN OF WORTH, (YOU)

This advocacy is born out of a heart that is passionate to witness a generation where every woman is well-aware of her worth in a holistic point-of-view: physically, emotionally, socially, legally and most of all, spiritually and Biblically.

In a world where women experience inequality, violence and discrimination, this advocacy aims to raise up Christ-Empowered Women, who live to empower her home, her husband, her children, her ministry and career, her generation and her nation.

This advocacy believes that this is her time because she is PRISCILLA TODAY.

Monday, July 22, 2013

How to Choose the RIGHT College Course

I almost took up NURSING. And oh,thank Heavens I didn’t!

Admit it. High school years aren't an easy-breezy season of your life where you have all the time for a series of guidance counseling or even a soul searching trip to Europe. With all the demands of studies, extracurricular activities,competitions, reviews, responsibilities, matched with fixing application forms for colleges and universities, most seniors try to quickly make up their mind on which course to apply for because of a very limited small amount of time.

College course is not just an eenie-meenie-mini-moe decision and definitely not a matter of one size fits all. Each and every individual has a purpose that God tailor-made to fit them perfectly, and that is why it is really important that
you know your purpose and what you are ‘fearfully and wonderfully’ made for!
I remember being in the last leg of my high school life and taking entrance exams in various biggest universities with the biggest hopes of passing for course in nursing. All my life, becoming a nurse was already something I have already set in mind—that I would someday get a degree, fly to the States and work there just like my Tita Marlene, a successful nurse and a strong-willed woman who’s passionate about her work and determined to strive for success. I have been vocal to my parents about the dream to be a nurse and they supported me by telling me it was a good decision since I can also earn really good money there and get more opportunities to live abroad. I was already fourth year then and very sure of this decision.

But then, out of the blue, I started to rethink. Nursing? Why do I want to take up Nursing? Is it really because I want to become a nurse? Or is it because of the surely comfortable life that it can give me, the salary and the life abroad?Take the pay, the abroad factor, and everything else away, would I still want to work as a nurse without all that? Will I still be passionate?

No,I am NOT saying that it isn’t a good course. I just like to point out that this course doesn’t seem to be a perfect fit for me. Looking at my strengths, my passion, and the field I am enjoying, it seems as though taking up Nursing could be a biggest mistake I could do in my life!

I thank God for giving me the wisdom to shift my sails into a different direction---a direction where I know I’ll be passionate about because I know I am made for it. God lead me to the right steps going to the course that He planned for me to take, Communication Arts in Miriam College.


So these are the steps I took that helped me a lot in deciding the biggest and one of the most important decisions of  a lifetime!


1.     THINK of happy things –Yes! What are things that make you happy? What do you love doing on your spare time? What are your hobbies? What are the activities that you are passionate about? In my case, I found that my strength and happiness lies in the field ofART/MEDIA.I find solace in writing, I find joy in dancing, I draw confidence in acting and performing onstage in a different persona, I feel happy when I’m socializing, I see myself and my inner thoughts in painting and drawing, I express myself through public speaking, and what does all that have to do with Nursing? I am not even good in science, I hate seeing blood, I freak out easily and I am the clumsiest person you could ever meet!


2.     TALK to people – No,not just any random man-on-the-street interviews. Choose the people who know you well enough to tell you what they think your strengths and weaknesses are. These people are none other than your family, your parents most especially, your best friends, your professors, and even your pastor. Ask them about which of the courses you are considering suit you best. You can’t just decide on yourself when it comes to these matters, guidance is also crucial. 

3.     CONSIDER all the Possibilities – Now that you know what you passionately excel in, it’s time to look at the opportunities these gifts have in store for you.  Based on the things, I mentioned that I consider my passion and my strengths, I realized that these God-given talents I have, make me capable to venture and develop in a  wide range of media practice, from broadcast journalism, television production, radio production, film making, advertising, copywriting, marketing, public relations, and many many more.  I could be a news reporter, a writer/journalist, a marketing/sales practitioner, a copywriter, a DJ, an artist, production designer, theatre performer, a film maker, a TV scriptwriter, and everything I could think of that is associated with the things I love doing.

Now that I had wide options in mind, I could narrow down which field I would like to focus on, but in my case…I was completely undecided! I felt so excited and overwhelmed as if I want to become everything. So as I researched, I found out that all these things point towards one common denominator and one direction---Communication Arts! I will be writing about this course next time :)

Oh my goodness, people do belittle that course. I hate it when you guys do that. Here’s to all you who told me my ‘easy’ course won’t get me anywhere……”May trabaho na ako. Nage-enjoy po ako and I walk in a clear steady direction now.” Guys, wag naman payabangan ng course. It’s what you do with your life after school that really matters. NAISIP KO LANG HAHAHA!


4.     MATCH the course to the school – It’s not a matter of which university is bigger or more popular, but it is the matter of the quality education your school can give you in the course you chose. Other people tend to choose the school first before the course. I advise you to choose the course first before the school.

I passed Communication Arts in one of the biggest universities in Manila, but I chose to study in Miriam College. Why? Miriam College’s flagship course is Communication Arts and the facilities they have there for my course curriculum even beyond high quality (as compared to other universities). Also Miriam is known to produce women leaders who make a mark and impact society, such as Korina Sanchez (broadcast journalist), Nikki Coseteng (former Senator), ChinChin Gutierrez (TV and film actress, renowned environmentalist), Nieves Confesor (former Philippine Secretary of Labor and Employment), Andi Manzano(Radio DJ), Jannelle So (sports commentator), Josie Natori (businesswoman, CEO of the Natori clothing line), Lupita Aquino Kashiwara (award winning film director), and many many more.

I wanted an environment with fewer people for more focused attention from the professors. It was also a good factor that all professors know their students by name and there’s a more relaxed atmosphere inside the classroom. I also like studying in an all-girls environment as I was able to focus better on my life’s direction while developing a sense of leadership and independence. MC has taught me a lot about being a woman and being a leader in society at the same time. Okay, I am trying not to get my ‘feminist side’ out so I’ll stop here. Haha!

  

So there you have it…T-T-C-M! THINK, TALK CONSIDER, and MATCH! But in every step,PRAYER is always a powerful factor. Keep in touch with God for He is the Captain of your ship!

Ina nutshell, know the activities you do that motivate and inspire you in life. If you feel comfortable in joggling numbers, consider accounting. If you are great in selling, venture in entrepreneurship, if you are good in science and you have the passion to take care of people, then nursing or any medical course is for you, and so on. Then once you've decided on it, choose a place that fits perfectly for that decision. Remember God gave you your strengths and your weaknesses for a purpose—for a special unique ‘exclusively for you’ purpose, at that.

Now,I realized that I was just so convinced with nursing because of how I admire my Tita for being a successful one, but in fact, I can be like her WITHOUT BEING EXACTLY like her. Like what I've mentioned I can be a strong-willed woman who’s passionate about her work and determined to strive for success, but that doesn't mean I have to be a nurse also, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment